Wren Photography is reader-supported. When you buy through a link on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional costs to you. Learn More
It is a known fact that using computers gives us the flexibility to watch something on a bigger screen. However, it is not possible for us to carry it everywhere we go. This is when the need to transfer files from our laptop to iPhone arises.
You can use vlc, iTunes, iCloud, OneDrive, or Dropbox. These apps have the ability to play almost any file types and codecs you want regardless of whether they are digital video format such as .mp4 (MPEG-4 Part 15), .mov (QuickTime Movie), .wmv, etc. It is possible to transfer videos from a computer to an iPhone. You can email the files or burn them onto a disc and then import them into your iPhone through iTunes on another PC/Mac.
The ways in which we can transfer videos to iPhone are-
- Using iCloud
- Using Dropbox
- Using Airdrop(Only for Mac Users)
- Using Windows/PC
- Using iTunes
- Using SHAREit
All of these methods are discussed in detail below.
Method 1-Using iCloud
Apple’s iCloud is a great way to keep your photos, videos, and other content safe and accessible anywhere you have an internet connection. You can use iCloud to transfer files between your devices, including your iPhone and computer.
To start the process of moving files from one device to another using iCloud-
- First, make sure that both devices are connected to the Wi-Fi network.
- From the app store, download the iCloud app on your Laptop and iPhone.
- Make an Apple ID.
- Upload the video through your mac on the iCloud.
- Use the same iCloud app to download the file on your iPhone.
There are a number of cloud services available like DropBox, Google Drive, Microsoft One Cloud, and One Drive.
Using Google drive is the best option as you can access all your files from any device with a web browser.
It also integrates well with many other Google products like Calendar, Gmail, and Sheets. Google Drive also has a good amount of storage capacity, unlike iCloud. Although Apple iCloud is compatible with windows and android, the compatibility is poor. Also, make sure that you are using the same Apple ID on your IOS Device as well as on your computer.
Method 2- Using Dropbox
Dropbox is also a cloud-based file-sharing service. In order to transfer files from computer to iPhone, follow these steps-
- Download the Dropbox app on your laptop and iPhone
- On your laptop, go to Files->My Files->Upload Files
- Once the video gets uploaded, open the app on your phone and you can see the same on your iPhone.
Method 3- Using AirDrop (only for MacBook users)
Airdrop feature on MacBook is a great way to transfer files between Macs without having to install any software. To use it follow these steps-
- On your Mac, go to ‘finder’.
- On the top left corner, you will see ‘Air drop’. Click on that.
- Alternatively, you can also directly go to the search option on your desktop, type in airdrop and it will open.
- Make sure that the airdrop feature and wifi on your iPhone are on.
- Go to video, the photo you wish to share, and right-click and select share via airdrop.
- The file gets transferred to your iPhone.
In order to switch on the airdrop feature on your iPhone-
Go to Settings->General->Airdrop->Everyone.
Method 4- Using Waltr Pro
In order to transfer a file from windows to iPhone, you have to install an app. WALTR Pro is an app that can be used to transfer files between your computer and iPhone. The following steps are how you use WALTR Pro-
- On the computer, launch WALTR Pro.
- Make sure that your iPhone is connected to the laptop via a USB device.
- Drag the file you want to transfer on your iPhone to the WALTR Pro
- Once the upload is done, you have your file on the iPhone.
Method 5-Transferring Videos from Computer to iPhone with iTunes
Apple’s iTunes has many methods of importing media files and converting between formats, such as video file conversion, audio file conversion, and folder migration. The users needn’t spend much time when transferring audio or video files from the PC/Mac because most functions are automated by default, including folder organization with playlists under “My Music”.
Apple products usually have iTunes to make sharing of videos, photos, and music easier. Although I prefer not using iTunes as it is time-consuming. We will first have to upload it on iTunes and only then can we transfer the file and many video formats are even unsupported by iTunes.
We can transfer anything we want to our iPhone by following these steps-
- Plugin your iPhone into the computer using a USB cable.
- Open iTunes and click on the ‘File ‘ tab.
- Click on ‘Add to library’.
- Click on the video you want to transfer and click ‘Open.’
- iTunes will start to download and encode the video.
- After it’s done, it will show a message saying ‘Video added to library’.
- Click on iPhone, go to ‘Movies’.
- Make sure to tick off the ‘Sync movies’ box.
- Select the video you want to upload on your iPhone from the iTunes library and press Apply/Sync.
Your video is on your iPhone.
To add videos from a computer to your iPhone, you don’t need any expensive software or complex file structure. It is really simple and could be completed in two steps:
1. First of all install the “iTunes” on your iPhone (it’s free);
2. Connect iPhone with PC;
3. Choose a video file(s), then add them successfully to the device via file sharing pane within “iTunes”;
4. Finally, enjoy your videos on the move!
Method 6- Using SHAREit
If you are using a Windows PC, then we can use SHAREit to transfer videos between devices.
- Once installed, launch the SHAREit app and connect your iPhone to the computer.
- On the left-hand side of the SHAREit window click on ‘Shared Files.’
- Select the video you want to share and press OK.
- Now select who you want to share it with from your contacts list or add them as a contact if you don’t have any.
- Select the device you want to send it to and press Send. Your video will now be copied over to your iPhone.
The Bottom Line
These were the best ways in which videos can be transferred from a device to an iPhone. Choose whatever suits you the best!