Wren Photography is reader-supported. When you buy through a link on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional costs to you. Learn More
While there are many mobile apps that let users fix shadows on the go, these can be a bit pricey. If you want to save some money and keep your shadow fixes easy, try using an app like ShadowFixer. This app is free to download and use, so it’s a great option for anyone who wants to fix their shadows quickly and easily.
If you’re looking for a more comprehensive way to fix your shadows, you can try editing them out of your photos online. There are a number of different photo editing programs that allow users to edit their images offline or online, so finding the right one is easy.
Once you have your edited image, all you need to do is resize it down and add in some shadowing details. whichever method you choose, it’s important to pay attention to your shadow details and make sure they’re looking their best. By following these simple steps, you can fix your shadows quickly and easily!
You can edit your pictures to remove shadows with any of these apps:
- Cut Paste Photos Pro
- Photoshop Fix
- Enlight Photofox
Let’s look at each of these in detail!
Snapseed is a free editing tool from Google. It is a great way to get rid of shadows in your pictures without having to go through the hassle of learning Photoshop. This app can easily fix any dark shadows that appear in your photos.
It is very user-friendly and perfect for beginners. It is best for the removal of small objects or blemishes which is unwanted in the picture.
- Cost- Free
In order to remove the shadow from your image using Snapseed, follow these steps-
- Open Snapseed.
- Import the picture you want to edit.
- Go to Tools->Tune Image->Shadow
- The “Healing” tool on Snapseed, helps you in zooming in the picture and removing any unwanted shadow from your picture. You will have to select the shadow you want to remove and draw over it with your finger.
- To further remove the shadow, Go to Tools->Selective. The Selective tool helps you in editing a certain part of the image which you feel needs to be further brightened.
- Once you are done editing the picture, click on “Export” and save your image.
Also check: How to transfer videos to iPhone
Cut Paste Photos Pro
If you’d like to edit shadows more carefully, Cut Paste Photos Pro may be a better option for you. This program offers a variety of features that can help you remove shadows from your photos easily and effectively.
This app is free to download and use, so there’s no cost involved in trying it out.
- Cost- 3-day free trial
- iPhone, iPod, iPad
- Helps you in editing your picture through resizing, cropping, rotating, and flipping photos.
- In order to remove the shadow, you can use the freehand cut tool.
- If the shadow is in the background, it can be removed using the background eraser tool. Be careful while using the background eraser tool and make sure that you only erase the part you do not need. This feature is also helpful when you want to put an object back into the picture.
- It is an app that also helps you to cut from multiple photos and merge them all together.
- Can share edited photos to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, mail.
Also See: How to go viral on TikTok
If you are looking for a program that is more comprehensive and can offer more in terms of editing features, Photoshop Fix may be the better option for you. This software offers powerful tools that can help you edit your picture completely.
It is used by professionals and photographers to edit photos. It has the best tools to edit your photo and make it look flawless!
- Cost- Free
To remove the shadow from your picture, follow these steps-
- Open photoshop
- Click on the Polygon Lasso tool. You can also choose the Pen tool if you want to be super accurate.
- Make sure to stay inside the shadow transition.
- In case you mess up in between, hold the shift button and continue drawing over the area of the shadow. After you are done, hold the Alt/Option key to subtract the portion you do not need.
- Make the path selected by you into a selection. To do so, right-click and choose “Make Selection”. This will enable you to set the Feature radius.
- Make sure that you set the feature radius to 0.
- Press OK
- Go to Edit->Fill->Content Aware->Normal Blending Mode with 100% opacity.
Another option for removing shadows is TouchRetouch. It helps remove unwanted objects from our pictures. This app is best for beginners who want to edit their pictures fast and in a hassle-free way. Using a single brush, the photo can completely be edited and shadow can be removed.
Features like the Clone tool and Selection tool make this application very user-friendly.
- Cost- $1.99
Follow these steps to remove the shadow from your picture-
- Open the app.
- Import the image you wish to edit.
- Go to the app’s menu bar-> output image resolution.
- Now, to remove the shadow choose either the Lasso tool or the Brush tool.
- Draw the area surrounding the shadow which you wish to remove.
- If you choose the Brush tool, make sure to edit the size of the brush tool depending on the image.
- Click on the start button present at the bottom of the screen.
- The shadow will disappear in some time.
If you want to edit shadows in a more general way, then Pixelmator may be a good option for you. This program can be used to edit photos in many different ways, including removing shadows.
It is the best substitute for Photoshop and even allows you to save your edited images on the iCloud drive.
- Cost- $4.99
The following steps have to be followed to edit the picture with shadow-
- Import the picture which has a shadow.
- Click on Tools-> Magic Eraser Tool
- Click on the magic eraser tool and drag it on the shadow you want to remove
- The shadow will disappear from the areas in which you have used the magic eraser tool.
If you’d like to remove shadows without having to use an app or software, then Enlight Photofox might be a good option for you. This program is free and easy to use, so you can fix any dark shadows that appear in your photos quickly and easily. It has a duo filter application and brush tools to make it user-friendly.
- Cost- Free but to use all the features $3.99
Follow these steps, to remove the shadow from the picture-
- Launch the app on your phone.
- Import the photo that has to be edited. You can do so by sliding the images which are shown at the bottom of the screen.
- Go to Tools->Heal->Mode
- When you click on mode, you get two options- Heal and Patch
- Select patch in order to copy pixels directly from one area of the photo to another. Choose the heal option if you want to create a blended version of the two areas. It is observed that in most situations, the patch option works the best.
- Now, you will see that a circle appears.
- Position the circle over the shadow that you want to remove.
- Use the Feathering and Fuse option to ensure that the area you replace blends properly with its surroundings and cannot be seen. This feature is basically used to smoothen the effect of removing the shadow.
- The shadow is removed from the picture.
Photowork is software that promises to be the easiest way to remove shadows from your photos. It comes with an easy-to-use interface and simple step-by-step instructions. You can use Photowork on both Mac and PC, making it perfect for anyone who wants to remove shadows quickly and easily.
- Cost: $19.25
To remove the shadow from your picture using the Photoworks app, follow these steps-
- Download the app and open it.
- Open the image you wish to edit and switch to the retouch tab.
- Choose Healing.
- Adjust the size of the healing brush according to the area you want to edit.
- Paint over the shadow with the help of the brush to remove it.
- The option of Feather and Opacity will help you soften the effect.
- In order to maintain a good texture, decrease the feather and opacity setting.
- The shadow is successfully removed.
- If you want to compare the pictures, click on “Show Original” or the Before/After button.
- Don’t forget to save your image.
If you are looking for an app that will help you remove shadows without having to use any software or tools, LunaPi may be a good option for you. This program is easy to use and requires no prior knowledge of photo editing. It offers several different tools that can be used to create detailed masks of areas of the photo that need to be lightened up.
- Cost: Free
In order to remove shadows from your picture online using LunaPic, follow these steps-
- Click upload and select the picture that you want to edit.
- If you want, you can also upload an image directly using a URL.
- Choose Cut Out Tool->Scissors
- Select the area you want to remove
- Now,Click Remove->Inpaint
- The edited area will be concealed
- Save your photo in a png file.
Remove shadow from the photo app
1. Open the Photo app that you want to edit.
2. Click on the photo(s) that you want to apply the shadow removal filter to and select Edit > Adjustments Board ( or press Ctrl+Alt+A on Windows, macOS, and Linux).
3. In the Adjustments Board window, click Shadows in order to adjust how much shadow is removed from your photo(s).
4. If you want to try different blend modes and opacity levels, you can do this by clicking on the black and white slider handles.
5. Once you have made your adjustments, click on OK to apply the filter and view your changes (see screenshot below).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS-
How can you avoid shadows when clicking a picture?
- Ensure that the light source is adequate
- Use flash
- Find the best angle
- Always click pictures towards the light
- Shoot in natural light
Does the HDR setting make any difference?
Yes! It balances the exposure between the background and the subject. This helps in reducing the shadow. When joining three or four photos then HDR also helps in getting the best image.
How can you get the best lighting when clicking pictures?
Try clicking your picture in the daylight and if clicking it at night use flash for clarity. If you are a professional, who needs to shoot on a daily basis then you can also purchase a ring light.
Can you erase a background shadow from the photo?
Yes! The healing brush will help you get rid of any shadow in your picture. Adjust the brush size, depending on the size of the shadow which is to be removed.
Can a dark shadow be removed from a picture?
In case of a dark shadow, make sure that you use the brightness feature on the app to lighten the pic. Then, edit it the way you would like.
How can I enhance a shadow in a picture?
Try Black and White if you want to enhance the shadow in a picture. Shades of white, grey, and black help in enhancing the shadow effect.
How do you prevent outdoor shadows from photography?
In order to distract facial shadow from midday lighting, bring your subject into a shaded area like an open garage, a large tree, a building, or anything that will provide shadow to the subject.
Can you get rid of harsh shadows in a photo?
In order to get rid of harsh shadows in your photo, try these-
- Change the color luminance
- Use auto lighting correction
- Use the brightness feature on the editing app and try to lighten up the photo
- Use filters to brighten up the photo
There are a variety of apps that can be used to edit shadows from your photos. Some apps, such as Pixelmator, offer more general editing capabilities while others, such as Photoshop or Enlight Photofox, allow for the specific removal of shadowing within images. This program from DxO Labs is a great substitute for Photoshop and Pixelmator if you are looking to edit shadows. It offers many of the same features, including the ability to remove Shadows and Highlights.
If you want to remove shadows without using software or an app, then LunaPic might be the best option for you. This program is essentially an online image editor which allows users to edit and resize photos with no restrictions. All you need is internet access and your photo files will be accessible from anywhere in the world. You can also add text, effects, and filters to your pictures before sharing them online or printing them out.
There is no one best way to remove the shadow from your picture. It is important for you to choose the app that best suits the needs of your image and allows for quick and easy removal of any shadow you use to remove shadows from your photos.