Wren Photography is reader-supported. When you buy through a link on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional costs to you. Learn More
Nowadays, people love watching short films more than the traditional 3 hours long films. Even if we are given a choice to watch long films, we tend to fast forward the scenes we do not like.
The world has become fast with its activity going on, and so is the demand in the entertainment list. People are reaching out for fast entertainment resources, and short films could be an ideal choice for many.
We see many bloggers shooting short films using affordable cameras; some people even use smartphones for shooting short films. But if you want to grow with this rather than just doing it casually, you can invest in a good camera that is best suited for filming short films.
To help you out we have a set of 6 best cameras that we find best suited for this purpose. Let us have a check on them and their features.
Best Camera for Short Films
Features: 24.2MP , DX format, APS-S sensor, 1080p/60fps, Servo-AF, WiFi
The DSLR comes with lenses, and this is a very affordable DSLR for filming short films. The camera comes with a decent format, accurate sensor, amazing video quality at an acceptable frame rate; it has a good megapixel and connectivity. The D3300 comes with a 3.5mm stereo board for attaching an external mic to it. Attaching an external mic is a good idea for vlogging.
This often comes into use, especially when you are shooting outdoors. Monaural Microphone with 20 manual settings allows you to set the audio quality of the camera regarding sensitivity. You can set the aperture and start filming accordingly.
The Nikon D3300 performs satisfactorily even in low light conditions. The camera is equipped with a Servo if this lets the camera focus on the subject better than ever, saving you from the struggle of long focusing practices.
It can shoot images at 24 megapixels and it has an APC-S sensor. It is capable of recording 1080p videos at a frame rate of 60fps. You also get various connectivity options including a Wi-Fi connection. Also, the price is certainly going to be less than $600, which makes it an affordable choice.
- 1080p HD video quality
- Servo AF
- Adjustable Aperture
- Low light shoots
- WiFi connection
- Low light shoots could be better.
Canon EOS T7i
Features: 24MP, 1080p/60fps, Dual Pixel AF, WiFi, NFC, Bluetooth
Like our previous suggestion, even this camera has a cost less than $600 for sure. Whether you want to take photographs or shoot high-quality videos, the camera is not going to let you down amid your task.
The camera comes with 24 megapixels shoot quality that gives crystal clear images. It has dual-pixel autofocus to keep further your work comfortable and productive. You have plenty of connectivity options with Wi-Fi, NFC, and Bluetooth.
To boost your performance, the camera can record 1080 pixel videos at a frame rate of 60fps, and that too with an electronic IS, which means you are going to have the last time recording. The color production is equally word praising. The belt for carrying is compact and trustworthy, and it allows you a proper grip for shooting.
- 1080 p HD video quality
- Dual pixel AF
- Electronic IS
- Low light shoots
- WiFi, NFC and Bluetooth connection
- Minor rolling shutter effect ( should not affect film shooting much )
Panasonic Lumix G85
Features: 16MP, MOS sensor, UHD 4K Recording, 3.5 mm audio jack
Panasonic Lumix G85 is an excellent camera with 16-megapixel shoot quality. Comes with a MOS sensor, and it delivers fully Ultra HD 4K videos for shooting short films with ultimate clarity and precision. Even if you are shooting outdoors, you can stay assured that the camera can tolerate minor weather changes or weather disturbances.
The Panasonic Lumix G85 is dustproof and waterproof and it comes with weather seal technology. The G85 is able to record 4K videos at a frame rate of 30 or 24 FPS at 100 Mbps.
It can record full HD videos in AVCHD format. You can shoot 1080 pixel video at 60fps. Though the camera provides you with the wind cut filter, it lacks an inbuilt microphone. Thus, you can use any microphone such as a lav mic to get the audio recorded.
However, this cannot be counted in drawbacks because, in any way, you are going to need an external mic when you’re shooting short films, even if you’re podcasting or blogging. Further, it comes with a zoom lens. For enabling you to connect an external mic to the camera, it comes with a 3.5 mm jack—costing under $700.
- 4K UHD Video Quality
- Wind Cutter Technology
- Dust and Waterproof
- Better frame rates
- Below average battery life
BlackMagic Pocket Cinema 4K
Features: 4096×2160 resolution, 4/3 image sensor, 4K video recording, 3.5 mm audio jack
Finally, we introduce a cinema camera to the list, which might be quite expensive because it is specially designed to shoot films. But the quality is worth the price that you pay.
Blackmagic pocket cinema is comparatively affordable than other cinema cameras with stunning 4K video quality. It has an MFT lens mount. The MFT mount allows you to add lenses to your beast.
The camera comes with an inbuilt microphone as well as a port for external microphones you can go with your own choice. It has a 4/3 image sensor with 4096 x 2160 resolution.
In Fact, it has more than one resolution that it can offer. Here is a list of the different ones:
- 2.4:1 4096 x 1712 (4K),
- 4096 x 2160 (DCI 4K),
- 3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD 4K),
- 1920 x 1080 (HD),
- and Super 16 2688 x 1512 (2.6K).
It can record in Blackmagic Raw as well as ProRes 422 format which is yet another versatile option after the MFT lens mount and resolutions that you get over here.
There are plenty of ports available, which are a Mini XLR Mic/Line Level (+48 V Phantom Power) Input, a (3.5 mm) Stereo Headphone Output, and a (3.5 mm) Stereo Mic/Line Level (+48 V Phantom Power) input port.
The shooting time of the camera is an average one, which is only 40 minutes. Now, since the camera is professionally designed for shooting films, be it a long film or a short film, the cost, which is around $1200, is not necessarily expensive for the purpose.
Speaking about the build, it is completely waterproof dustproof; it is a small and compact camera that can be easily carried.
- 4K Video quality
- Plentiful choice in resolution
- Lots of connectivity ports
- RAW Format
- MFT lens mount
- Battery life could be enhanced
GoPro Hero 7 Black
Features: 12 mp, 4K, 30x zoom, 8x optical zoom , Timelapse support, Hyper Smooth Video stabilization
This GoPro hero series hardly needs an introduction from our end. The name is enough for you to understand that a considerable population widely accepts this camera across the countries for various purposes, such as recording podcasts as an action camera. Now, you are introducing it for making short films.
You get an overwhelming 4K video quality along with 12-megapixel photo shoots. The Hyper smooth video stabilization allows you to record with enough precision and balance.
Let us discuss the Time Warp feature that allows this feature. You can record Time Lapse videos while these objects are moving where the maximum speed could be set up to 30x, and the minimum could be set up to 8x so that ensures that you can shoot brilliant slow-motion videos with the camera, which are good 1080 pixels videos.
The reason the brand is so famous among the crowd is that it is effortless to handle the camera, and the settings are very user-friendly. Vloggers love them because they can use them for live streaming time and again.
The price of the camera keeps surprising us with the quality that we get. The camera comes around 250 dollars, which is so affordable, so if you are a beginner, and if you are planning to begin with short films, you can grab this camera the moment you see it.
If you are a beginner, I highly recommend you to check out the best camera for amateur photographers.
- 4K video
- Waterproof and dustproof
- Hypersmooth Video stabilization
- Very affordable
- None for the price
Features: 26MP , APS-C X-Trans BSI-CMOS 4 sensor, UHD 4K/30p, 3.5 mm audio jack
When we discuss some best DSLRs that can shoot short films, missing out on Fujifilm X-T30, that would be a great miss indeed. Because this is one of the unique cameras that best suit the requirement of shooting short films. The XT-30 sports a 26 megapixels APS-C X-Trans BSI-CMOS 4 sensor. It records DCI and Ultra HD videos at 4K at 30 FPS.
And who doesn’t want 4K video quality for making short films?
However, the Fujifilm XT-30 comes with a substantial drawback: the maximum shooting time is only 10 minutes, not even a below-average case. But since we are talking here about shooting short films, most of the text should be within 2 or 3 minutes.
For that purpose, it is a great pick. You can easily record high-speed clips with the camera, and here is a short description of the speeds it delivers:
The video recording quality is pretty vibrant and rich. The playback of the recorded videos can be done at 59.94p, 50p, 29.97p, 25p, 24p, or 23.98p. We cannot forget to mention that there is roughly around 1.3X crop when using this high-speed mode. It has a 2.5 mm jack for an external microphone.
The unique Artsy Aesthetic and Film Simulation modes allow you to have a great shooting experience with cinematic effects and filmy vibes. Currently, the camera costs under $800.
- DCI and UHD 4K/30p video recording
- APS-C X-Trans BSI-CMOS 4 sensor
- High-speed recording
- Unique Modes
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- Extremely short recording time
- No IS
What are the important features that make a Camera Best for shooting Short Films?
Even if you do not focus on each and every feature that a camera comes equipped with, there are some important features that need to have the special attention of yours.
You need to read these features and understand if they are suitable for your purpose or not. For shooting short films we have a few important qualities that a camera should possess. Let us check these qualities and their significance.
- Resolution: The number of pixels in a video matters a lot. If you want to achieve a crisp and clear video quality that is lively and vibrant, you should invest in a good resolution of your camera. The best could be having a 4K Ultra HD video quality, but it’s not a bad deal even if you get 1080 pixel video quality.
- Autofocus: If your camera is good at focusing on the subject, even if you are in motion, that makes it great for shooting short films. To draw precision and stability in your videos, you need to have good autofocus.
- ISO: You never know if the short film you are planning for could require a low light shoot, and if you want your camera to shoot proper low light conditions with good effects and clarity, you need to have a good ISO range in the camera.
- Megapixels: The minimum megapixel count should be 12, and if you get hold of 24 megapixels, then it is great for accurate shootings.
- Battery Life: For a short sense, the battery could be adjusted but then look for the best possible battery life that you can achieve in a camera. Having a good battery life of the camera is not just time-saving, but it also ensures that your shoot flow is not going to break in between.
- Modes and Filters: Various shooting modes, for example, time-lapse mode, become essential while you are making short films to draw that attractive filmy effects in your shoot. Different filtering options enhance the quality of your movie. Hence, these are a few essential features that your camera should possess.
What are different types of cameras that I can use for making short films?
For shooting short films you can invest in either of these cameras listed below
- Cinema Cameras: Cinema Cameras are very expensive because they are specially designed for the purpose of shooting sense. Whether you are a beginner or a professional you can use these to shoot the best short films. Check out the best video cameras for movie making for a better idea.
- Camcorders: The camcorders are mostly affordable, but then the quality of the shoot is not up to the mark for shooting short films. Check out the top-rated ones for youtube here.
- DSLR: DSLRs are the most widely accepted choice of podcasters and vlogging freaks. DSLRs have a good range of settings, filters, and different modes. The best part about them is that they come in every price range.
- Action Cameras: As the name suggests, the action camera is best for shooting high-speed videos.
These were some of the selected picks that we found good for shooting short films along with some important features. We also listed the different types of cameras that can be used for the same purpose. If you still have doubts or queries, feel free to comment them down below.