Wren Photography is reader-supported. When you buy through a link on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no additional costs to you. Learn More
In the present world, we cannot expect to believe the news unless we have picture proof of it. Hence, photojournalism plays a very crucial role in the journalism industry. Pictures of events not just provide scope for cross-checking the evidence, it also contributes to keeping the audience engaged in the news or article facts.
Having understood the importance of cameras for photojournalism, we have selected some cameras that are best suited for the branch of journalism. The basic facts that we kept in mind while searching for the cameras are weight, dimensions, sensors, autofocus, shooting speed, and a few additional specs.
Let’s have a look at the list without further delay ;
Best camera for Photojournalism
Nikon D7500 Dx-format Digital SLR
WEIGHT: 1.66 pounds
DIMENSION: 2.85 x 5.33 x 4.09 inches
- Clear and sharp images
- 20.9 mp sensor
- 8 fps frame rate
- 180 k pixel RGB sensor
- Wi-fi and Bluetooth connectivity
- Some users dislike the WiFi and SnapBridge settings
A very professional choice for photojournalism photography could be Nikon d7500. If you are looking for a simple and classic camera to work its magic for your photojournalism then this camera could be your pic. The price of the camera matches well with its decent functionality.
The picture quality of the camera is as good as it can get. The camera has 15 cross-type sensors to set the frame rate of the camera to 8 FPS. You get a 1080 pixel HD video or a 4K Ultra HD time-lapse video easily with Nikon D7500. The camera remembers to install a 180 k pixel RGB sensor that provides a 51 point AF system which is extremely beneficial for us. It has a Large 3.2” 922k dot, tilting LCD touchscreen. Nikon the 7500 is equipped with a 20.9-megapixel DX-format image sensor. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity allows you to share and make father’s settings with your data. Also, manufacturers have given a very solid and compact build to the camera.
Sony A9 Full Frame
WEIGHT: 1.3 pounds
DIMENSION: 5.67 x 9.61 x 6.14 inches
- Refined quality images
- Sturdy build
- 20 FPS frame rate
- Anti distortion shutter
- Packed with all essential accessories
- Full-frame stacked CMOS sensor
- Vibration free Technology
- Good battery life
If you are a fan of Japanese tech, then you are never going to regret having this camera. Sony stands as one of the most reputed brands for electronic devices in the market. We all can relate to at least one camera from Sony which we have used for maximum casual trips and occasions. Needless to say, the cameras from Sony are designed in a very beginner-friendly way. The settings are simplified for the users.
Sony A9 Full Frame has been launched with an ever-new Full-frame Stacked Cmos Sensor w/integrated memory. In the world of journalism, where you can not stand camera blackouts during shoots, the continuous 20 FPS shooting speed is not less than a boon. The camera is probably the only camera to have such amazing specifications. The battery of the camera can last up to 480 shots with the viewfinder and 650 shorts with an LCD monitor which is a powerful combination altogether.
The video recordings could be made for around 100 minutes with the viewfinder and 120 minutes with the LCD monitor. While we were in the middle of our research for these cameras, we found journalists looking for cameras that are vibration-free – just to carry on their work silently. Here, Sony A9 comes with absolutely Vibration-free Technology along with Distortion Shutter up to 1/32,000 sec.
Well, the features do not end there, the camera has got more or less all the amazing accessories that you need to work with – starting from Micro USB Cable to an Eyepiece Cup. It has 693 phase-detection AF that allows more than 93% of the frame coverage. All in all, it’s a great camera for journalist photographers that you can check.
WEIGHT: 3.1 pounds
DIMENSION: 6.3 x 6.3 x 3.7 inches
- Good battery life
- User friendly
- Better ISO
- Speedes performance by the processor
- Accessories included
- 1 year warranty
- Standard picture quality
- No Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connectivity
If you are looking for a camera with a full package of accessories in an affordable range along with a standard performance you must look for Nikon D5. The 180 k pixel RGB sensor sets everything in the trend for journalist photographers. The Nikon D5 brings in such features along with group area in AF and 12 FPS shooting speed for 200 shots using AE or AF.
The camera is packed with a 20.8 MP Dx format CMOS sensor to deliver flawless and clear images. Expeed 5 image processor further contributes to the speeded processing of the images. Next, we have a 3.2 inches 2.36 million dot touch screen LCD monitor which is made into an extremely user-friendly screen while it provides a 4K Ultra HD video recording at a 30fps frame rate.
In addition to these features, Nikon D5 has Multi-Cam 20k 153 point Autofocus system, which is simply incredible for journalist photographers who cannot wait an entire day to focus on a single subject. The native place of the camera is 102400 and it can be extended up to 3280000. For 200 shots you get a frame rate of 12 FPS with AF. Last but not least the camera supports raw format which is super convenient for editing purposes.
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
WEIGHT: 1.76 pounds
DIMENSION: 3 x 5.9 x 4.6 inches
- 30.4MP Full-frame CMOS Sensor
- Exclusive image quality
- DIGIC 6+ image processor
- Wi-Fi GPS and NFC connectivity
- Stunning image quality
- Class ISO range
- 1 year warranty
- AF system needs a lift in quality
Next, we have Canon EOS 5D Mark IV making all its way to our list. The camera is a blast in itself having a wonderful speed with DIGIC 6+ image processor. The speedy image processing of the camera cannot be matched easily by any other model. Canon EOS 5D Mark IV has a powerful 30.4-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor for the stunning quality of photographs with precise and high details.
The camera is further equipped with a versatile ISO ranging in between 100 to 32000 and it is expandable up to 50-102400. One just cannot stop admiring the 4K Motion JPEG video quality of the camera which is a DCI Cinema type having a resolution of 4096 x 2160 at 30 or 24 pixels.
The autofocus is superbly designed into a Dual Pixel CMOS Autofocus system for responsive and fast performance. The camera also features an LCD monitor which is a full touch screen. It allows you to select the area of autofocus. The camera passes every level of mastery in photography with 7.0 FPS continuous shooting speed in combination with DIGIC 6+ Image Processor.
In addition to all these features, the camera for others provides you with EOS Utility Webcam Beta Software which can easily convert the camera into a high-quality webcam. In a nutshell, the camera is worth every penny that you pay for it.
Sony Alpha a6000
WEIGHT: 12.02 ounces
DIMENSION: 4.72 x 1.77 x 2.64 inches
- APS-C CMOS sensors
- Comes with a stylish soft-sided case for an additional protection
- Wi-Fi and NFC support
- 1 year warranty
- Flawless image quality
- Speedy performance
- Compact build
- Cannot stand rough handling extreme weather damages
Sony Alpha mirrorless camera is one of those cameras that surpasses our expectations and performs overwhelmingly. The mirrorless camera from Sony is an exceptional match with an incredible shooting quality. In case you are looking for a compact mirrorless camera without compromising on the quality of the images, then the camera could be a big hit in your bag.
The only concern could be the maintenance of the camera because, after all, it is a mirrorless camera and it has to be taken care of. Having said that, we do not mean that the camera is fragile or having a week build. It is just that the body of the camera requires better handling to ensure its durability. The carrying case of the camera has soft solid surfaces for added protection of the camera. With this, you get several modes of shooting that can add a touch of innovation to your usual photographs.
Revealing the most important features of the cameras, first of all, it has 179 points of Auto Focus with phase detection. Sony Alpha a6000 comes with a 24-megapixel APS-C sensor. The precise details of the images might surprise you but that is what we always expect from Sony.
The ISO of the camera ranges from 100 to 25600, which can boost the quality of your low-light shootings. Further, the camera has 25 contrast-detection points along with a focus sensitivity range of EV 0 and EV 20. You can share your data easily with Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity choices.
WEIGHT: 15.05 ounces
DIMENSION: 5.08 x 1.85 x 3.54 inches
- APS-C 16M X-Trans CMOS II sensor
- Does not freeze
- 3 inches tilt screen
- Waterproof and dustproof
- 8 FPS continuous shooting
- Standard ISO range of 200-6400
- Requires some practice for smooth usage
If you are ready to invest in a high-end mirrorless camera that can promise you blazing-fast performance, then we would definitely suggest Fujifilm xt1.
The camera hardly needs an introduction because Fujifilm xt1 has been lately the talk of the town. Especially when we talk about a list of cameras precisely designed for journalist photographers, we have to mention this camera owing to its durability and weather resistance. The camera is fit for journalists who are too lazy to put all those extra efforts to take care of their camera. Fujifilm xt1 comes with dust protection and waterproof Technology.
Some important specs of it include 5 analog dial which is are ISO, Drive, Shutter Speed, Ev Compensation, and Metering Mode. The beautiful Mirrorless camera has a 16.3 MP APS-C X-Trans II CMOS sensor. Along with that you also have the freedom to shoot 1080 pixel video (full HD) at 30fps. The camera has an OLED viewfinder and 100% coverage with its tiltable 3 inches LCD screen at 8 fps.
Q. What type of cameras can be used for photojournalism?
Ans. The answer to this question is very simple. It basically depends on your budget and the Expectations of your profession.
- If you are tired of your budget you can use a simple point-and-shoot cameras that are available easily in the market. You can even use a smartphone to capture event photographs if the Expectations of your professionals are not extremely professional.
- However, if your budget allows and your profession demands official input from your end then you must look for DSLR or mirrorless cameras that provide refined and flawless image qualities with precise details and amazing accuracy.
- Since the quality of your work decides your destiny in the long run, we would not suggest you compromise on the quality of the camera. The world being extremely competitive, you have to match its pace and hence you must invest in good gadgets for better-competing performance.
Important specs of cameras for photojournalism :
- Weight and Dimension: It is a very transparent fact that as a photojournalist you have to look for portable and lightweight cameras that have a compact build. The camera should not weigh your back down or occupy a lot of space in your bag. A light and a small camera with a sturdy build are all that you should look for. However, you must ensure that the camera has a solid build so that it is prepared for minor accidental knocks at its surface. We understand that it is very difficult to take proper care of your camera with smooth handling in a profession like journalism, but here we hardly have a choice, and you must be careful with the handling of your camera.
- Lens: For taking proper pictures of the events your camera needs to be able to cover the area of the event for which you need a lens of 18-55mm or 70-300mm.
- Sensor: A powerful image quality requires a powerful sensor. The better the quality of the sensor, the better will be the definition of the image. If you want your cameras to click an extremely precise and accurate image with my new details you need to invest in a good sensor for your camera. The most famous and common sensors are APS-C CMOS sensors in the market.
- Zoom: As a journalist when you take photographs you can never choose to have a fixed focal length of your camera. There might be instances where you need to capture the event from a distance and you have to adjust the optical length of the camera from time to time. Zooming is a very important feature for a photojournalist and you must look for adjustable focal lengths.
- ISO: To obtain images with proper clarity in the scarcity of light or imbalanced light production, the ISO of a camera should provide you a good range.
- AF: The camera should be able to focus on the subject even if you are moving at work. For that, you need a camera with better AF points.
- Weather resistance: You would be at a great benefit if your camera has waterproof and dustproof technologies. Weather sealing Technologies secure your camera from weather disturbances that in turn keeps your mind at peace while you are working outdoors with your camera as a journalist.